Tian Poh Resources Ltd has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Mongolian Ministry of Energy (MOE) to provide a framework for the company and the MOE to collaborate in the development of suitable coal to electricity, and coal to gas plants, distribution of electricity and gas, and construction of the Ulaanbaatar City Gas Pipeline Network, to be fed from the company’s Modun Coal Field.
The MoU was signed by Tian Poh CEO Poh Kay Ping and Boldkhuu Nanzad, representing the Mongolian Ministry of Energy Mongolia, and was witnessed by Minister for Energy Gankhuu Purevjav and Vice Minister for Energy Gantulga Tudevkhuu.
The MOE regulates the supply of energy in Mongolia and the MoU is a key part of a strategy by the MOE to reduce air pollution in Ulaanbaatar via the use of gas for electricity production.
The plant is proposed to be built at or near the company’s Nuurst Coal Project and is proposed to be fed by coal extracted from this project. The Nuurst project is approximately 100km from Ulaanbaatar.
The company has previously assessed the feasibility of developing:
• 1000MW of coal fired power generation facilities in Mongolia; and
• A coal to natural gas plant in Mongolia with a capacity of 1.3 billion to 8 billion cubic metres per year.
Under the terms of the MoU:
• Tian Poh will share findings of feasibility studies to date with a working group for feedback;
• Investment strategies will be developed to expedite the implementation of the projects by way of partnership, joint venture, leasing and public market capital raising with local and overseas companies; and
• Tian Poh will present a preliminary schedule of implementation for approval by the MOE.