A ground magnetic survey at Azarga Metal Corp’s Unkur Copper-Silver Project in the Zabaikalsky region of eastern Russia has added an extra layer of knowledge on that gleaned from a drilling program conducted last year. Azarga’s president and CEO Dusty Nicol says some of the results are extraordinary.

The survey was a key part of Azarga’s first phase exploration program at Unkur. Undertaken in parallel with the drilling and trenching works, it comprised approximately 130 line kilometres of detailed ground magnetics.

While the data is still being interpreted and correlated with geology and drill results, the geophysical data confirms that the silver-copper mineralisation at Unkur has a strong magnetic signature and that ground magnetics can be a useful targeting tool on the project.

The survey has been useful in identifying changes in direction of the mineralised horizon, which the company believes are associated with increased thickness and grade. It has also identified targets for additional mineralisation to the north of the first phase drilling area.

The magnetic signatures of these targets remain open to the northeast and future surveys will aim to extend them.

Drilling results from Azarga’s first phase exploration program at Unkur intersected significant copper-silver mineralisation over a strike length of approximately 3km and the mineralised area remains in open in all directions as well as down dip.

The newly acquired ground magnetic survey data will be used to plan drilling in the second phase exploration program with the aim to expand the mineralised area and target zones which are indicated to be thicker and higher grade.

“We are very excited with the efficacy of ground magnetics at Unkur as this provides a fast and inexpensive tool to target drilling to expand the area of mineralisation,” said Dusty Nicol. “I’m particularly excited by the ability of ground magnetics to identify changes in direction of the mineralised horizon and the possibility this opens to target thicker zones of high grade associated with attendant dilation zones because such zones are where our best drilling results so far have been attained.”

An up-to-date NI43-101 resource is being compiled by SRK. Once published, it will form the basis of a preliminary economic study which Azarga hopes to complete by the end of this year.

Azarga owns 60% of the Unkur project along with the right to acquire the remaining 40% in the future.


Resource Center Whitepapers, Videos, Case Studies

Conferences & Events

No events