Agility Project Logistics has successfully displayed its ability to manage major mining logistics projects through involvement in two large mining operations in the Asia Pacific region.
Agility has completed the China Steel Freight Services project for Rio Tinto’s Clermont Coal Project in central Queensland and is providing freight management services for Lihir Gold’s Million Ounce Plant Upgrade (MOPU) Project at Lihir Gold Mine in Papua New Guinea.
The China Steel Freight Services project was spread over 18 months from April 2008 and involved transportation of about 2500 tonnes of fabricated steel material from a number of ports in China to the Clermont mine for their overland conveyor system.
In a letter to Agility, Clermont Mine contracts administrator Kieran McGovern said: “The Rio Tinto project team found your staff demonstrated a highly professional, organized and co-operative approach and attitude to working with us in achieving the project scope.
“The successful completion of transporting the steel material from China to the Clermont Mine was no easy task and Agility’s industry expertise was a huge factor in getting all steel to site safely and in a timely manner.”
In addition, Agility was also contracted by Takraf to provide door-to-door logistics of 20,000 freight tonnes of stacker reclaimer equipment sourced from Germany, UAE and Indonesia.
Agility’s involvement in the Lihir project involves transporting more than 50,000 freight tonnes to Lihir Island from multiple locations around the world, including the United States, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia and Australia.
The freight management services contract for the MOPU Project at the Lihir mine is being managed by Agility Brisbane, the headquarters of project logistics in Australasia.
With an estimated completion date for the upgrade of mid-2011, it is anticipated that upon completion the company will produce in excess of 1 million ounces of gold annually at its Lihir Island operation.
Based in PNG’s second largest city, Agility’s office in Lae is assisting with logistics services, including transportation of cargo from Lae to Lihir Island, as part of the existing contract.
Agility is a leading provider of integrated logistics to businesses and governments. It is a publicly-traded company with more than 37,000 employees in more than 550 offices and 125 countries.
Agility has a new contact in Australia for its mining logistics services – Gregory Robert, phone +61 7 3291 8699. Agility’s Indonesian contact is Rainer Koehl, phone +62 21 2852 9000.
www.agilitylogistics.com

Resource Center Whitepapers, Videos, Case Studies

Conferences & Events

No events