Queensland’s largest trade TAFE, SkillsTech Australia, will launch Australia’s first large-diameter pipeline training following a six-week training trip across the Malaysian Peninsula with Santos GLNG.

SkillsTech Australia’s business manager Malcolm Garrick upskilled with several of Santos GLNG’s pipeline technicians at the training facility of its joint venture partner PETRONAS.

“Accompanying the technicians from Santos GLNG PETRONAS into the field is a wonderful learning experience I will take away from my training,” Malcolm Garrick says. “I learnt three new words a day so that I could communicate more easily with my Malaysian teachers and this in itself has proven to be a highlight.”

Malcolm Garrick spent time in local villages in rural Malaysia while undertaking pipeline surveillance, right of way operations, and pipe digs, surveys and repairs. “I particularly enjoyed four-wheel-driving through jungle, seeing wild animals, meeting the Kampong (locals) in their villages and eating wonderful food with the pipeline technicians.

“I have drawn on the knowledge of PETRONAS and Santos GLNG’s pipeline operators, who answered my questions and put what I learnt into the context of the Australian regulatory environment.”

Malcolm Garrick will now begin conveying his new-found knowledge of pipelines to SkillsTech Australia trade qualified teachers. “Thanks to Santos GLNG and PETRONAS, SkillsTech Australia can now build a concise team of teachers who can travel to site to conduct large-diameter pipeline training. We will also be offering a Recognized Prior Learning (RPL) service to people in the field who are working as pipeline technicians but do not hold a current qualification.”
www.skillstech.tafe.qld.gov.au

Resource Center Whitepapers, Videos, Case Studies

Conferences & Events

No events