Rapu Rapu Minerals has won the Social Empowerment category in the Asia Responsible Entrepreneurship Awards (AREA) for 2012.

The AREAs were established four years ago to recognize Asian companies that demonstrate responsible leadership. The awards are also focused on connecting leading Asian businesses to strengthen regional ties and showcase success stories to stimulate responsible entrepreneurship. Organizer Enterprise Asia is a regional non-government organization that spans 32 countries, 24 major industries and boasts 8000 members.

Rapu Rapu will receive its award at a ceremony this week in Singapore, which is this year’s awards host country. Its polymetallic project (RRPP) produces copper and zinc concentrates with gold and silver by-products, making it the pioneer polymetallic mine established under the Philippines’ new mining law of 1995.

The mine is at the southeast tip of the island of Rapu-Rapu, about 45km from Legazpi city in Albay province. It employs more than 1500 people, most of whom are from the local region.

In 2008, the project was invested in by three main shareholders, LG International, Korea Resources and Malaysia Smelting, which restarted operations with commitments to adhere to responsible mining for sustainable development, respect all stakeholders and develop partnerships to realize socio-economic progress.

The RRPP has a mine development area of about 180 hectares, with 26 hectares occupied by the mine pit, 5 hectares hosting the processing plant and 20 hectares dedicated to accommodate the field offices, houses, gym and amenities. A 24 hectare tailings storage facility is also located on site.

Rapu Rapu Minerals defines its business by ‘responsible mining’, adhering to standards on sustainable development, environmental management and safety and the health and well-being of employees and communities near the mine site.

Last year the company won awards of distinction and merit by the Safety Organization of the Philippines (SOPI) in recognition of the mine’s safety record of 8 million man hours without a lost time incident.

www.enterpriseasia.org

Resource Center Whitepapers, Videos, Case Studies

Conferences & Events

No events