Sydney-based communications systems company Mine Site Technologies has gained the required certification for its PED (Personal Emergency Device) and ICCL (Integrated Communication Cap Lamp) to be used in Indian coal mines.

The Intrinsically Safe (IS) accreditation is confirmation of the equipment’s highest safety rating, necessary for use in the environments found in underground coal mines. All equipment used in potentially explosive atmospheres where a mixture of gases, mists and dust could ignite under certain operating conditions must be IS and not able to create a spark.

Mine Site general manager Mike Foletti says it’s an accomplishment that’s taken several years to attain. “Our customers in India have been waiting to have the opportunity to apply PED technology and we are now actively pursuing orders and installations.”

Mine Site says the two products to gain certification are considered the most reliable and effective emergency and general communications systems currently available to underground mining operations.

Its PED uses an ultra-low frequency signal to transmit text messages through solid rock, with the transmission system able to be installed on the surface to send a signal to miners working underground, regardless of their location. Messages can be sent to individuals, groups of workers or all underground employees in the case of an emergency.

The ICCL serves as a multi-functional receiver which displays the text messages issued through the PED on an integrated screen. The wearer is also alerted to the message through audible and visual signals.

The PED/ICCL combination works with other phone and radio communication systems that may have been previously installed in the mine.

Mine Site Technologies has 23 years of experience in the design, manufacture and deployment of critical, high-quality systems for in-mine communications, personnel monitoring and production support.

www.minesite.com.au

Resource Center Whitepapers, Videos, Case Studies

Conferences & Events

No events